Friday, September 27, 2013

made my week: cushion covers

I decided to treat myself this week. I've been more domestic than normal and kept the living area tidy (I normally struggle to do this). This has been good for the soul.* Also during my normal 'work' hours I made these 2 cushions. 



At the beginning of the week it was our 11th wedding anniversary. During our first years of marriage we made each other awesome gifts using the traditional anniversary gifts. Since children not so much. This year its supposed to be steel. BUT...



Our bedroom is my least favourite room in our house. The walls are painted a purple/mauve colour. Which looks bad with our grass green and blue duvet cover. Green and blue colours are in my life ALL. THE. TIME. but I'm really over this duvet cover. We purchased it as a gift for ourselves with our wedding money. So 11 years ago. Lately I took the cover off and had the duvet bare as that looked better to me. 


So for pleasure I sat in front of the sewing machine. First time in a while. Happy, happy feelings. Now I want to make the bed. I used material I've had for years and some a dear friend gave me last week. 



Degree of difficulty: I added zips and I find zips hard to sew other than that it's easy enough if you don't mind using a gazillion pins to make sure you catch the pom pom ribbon. 
Cost: about $3-4 for the pom pom ribbon (which I brought at 30% off from Spotlight), fabric free from 'the stash'.
Time: 2-3 hours each one (that pom pom ribbon was a killer)
Result: 11 year anniversary present tick (for me at least). I keep walking past our bedroom just to look at the bed. Not sometimes blue today folks. The Man about the House reckons he needs a 'metal' CD. 

* Another thing good for the soul is the movie "Gardening with Soul" which is one at the movies at the mo.

Showing and telling (a day late) at Leonies

8 comments:

  1. So lovely to have you linking up, thanks! yay for handmade gifts that make you happy! They look great! And congrats on your anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. they look great - that pom pom ribbon terrifies me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you can get different pom pom trim but the stuff I used was thin. I wasn't sure I liked the neon but going with the trendites on pinterest! Ha.

      Delete
  3. 11 years, wow! Congratulations. I love the pompom trim, you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favourite fabric is the one with the roses. Gorgeous. Happy anniversary! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too! I have heaps more of this. I've never known what to do with it. I might make a dress for me but it'd be out there.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...