Sunday, December 18, 2011

things on you tube

OK, so I've tried to stay away from you tube it seems for no good reason. Since this post about picture books you can watch on you tube by Megan at mousehouse I'm hooked*. 

Since yesterday we have watched far too much but I'm so excited as I've seen some of my favourite old movie scenes/music. One of our Advent activities was to "Watch a Christmas movie with popcorn". I'd love to do an entire post on Advent Activities, which has been marvellous, but fear I shall run out of time before Santa comes down the chimney, that is unless I don't sleep and I need to sleep otherwise I'm not a great Mama). I was quite clever and planned this for yesterday, a Saturday, where hubbie and I could get some things done, although I would have liked to have sat down with them. Needless to say we didn't have a Christmas movie but I'd noticed lots of references around about for "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" by Dr Seus. So after a search of "Childrens Christmas Movies" on google I found a list of the top ten. Then a search on you tube really opened my eyes to all the goodness that can be found there. 

So since yesterday the kids have watched:
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas. To which the comment at the end was: "Christmas isn't about presents it's about being with family". Life lesson right there. 
- Mickey Mouse Christmas Carol. Same life lesson as above. 
- Hakuna Matata: Lion King. It means no worries. 
The rainbow connection: Kermit the Frog. Song still in my head. Love. 
do ra mi: The Sound of Music. Check out this flash mob clip at a train station in Antwerp. 


Next I'm going to show them The Lion sleeps tonight, aka Mbube. So many great versions, from the original by The Tokens or The Lion Kings version, or Miriam Mekeba (Famous African Singer), or Ladysmith Black Mambazo, or even the Soweto Gospel Choir. So exciting.


For a lovely version of South Africa's National Anthem, aka N'Kosi Sikeleli, sung by Miriam Makeba, Ladysmith Black Mambazo and Paul Simon check this out. Yes I do love Africa. 


Shame my parents have dial up for next week when we are there as I'd love to have this as a resource. I don't think any of us have been as excited to go stay with them (with all the dramas that brings let alone the on the car trip (4.5hours)). We have not been there since after the February earthquake and after having a bitter sweet Christmas last year as my MIL's last we are looking forward to the crazy excitement and shouting from my Dad that occurs with my family at Christmas. 


PS. Much more positive post today after my last post of all my random thoughts. In order to stay on top of being sometimes blue one must focus on doing the things that make you happy as then being happy is much easier. Rocket Science I know. 


* BTW Megan's blog is LOVELY and one of my favourites. You'll notice I have copied lots of her lists on the sidebar of my blog.

1 comment:

  1. I love that post of Megans too. It's so nice to meet another Chch blogger!!! If you are keen to be part of meet ups etc please email me with your address and blog URL and I can add you to my list! Miriam makeitgiveit(at)gmail(dot)com
    thanks for visiting my blog too! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...